Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Check out their amazing blog here!
Today’s TTT topic is: Top Ten Book Turn-Offs (You know.. you are reading and then SOMETHING happens to completely turn you off — cheating, absent parents, multiple POVS etc.)
1. Love Triangles in Fantasy/Sci-fi books. If I want to read about love triangles, I’ll pick up a contemporary book. But don’t defile my epic fantasies with angsty teen love dang it!
2. Lax parenting. I know that it happens all the time in this world, but can we please represent for the parents who actually do care about their kids and enforce the rules?
3. Too much cussing. Once in a while, I can forgive it. But if your entire vocabulary consists of the F-bomb, then you’re doing something wrong. Looking at you Stephen King.
4. Too much sex. I can handle it if it’s sparse, but please don’t make me skip 75% of the book to actually find a plot among the smut.
5. Over-mature tweens. What fourteen year old is out doing drugs and having sex? I know it does happen. I don’t deny that. But if you’re trying to convince me that every single fourteen year old is involved in all that? Please.
6. Under-mature teens/young adults. The flip side of #5. Not all 18 year olds use “OMG, did you, like, totally, see that? Oh MAH GAWD. BECKY. LOOK AT HER BUTT.” Well, maybe we do, but not with every single line of dialogue.
7. Stereotypical gay characters. See my rant yesterday in the Liebster award post. Basically: don’t let the character be defined by their sexuality. People are more than who they want to bang.
8. Whiny protagonists. Pick yourself up, brush off the dust, let’s go. Come on. I will slap you myself if I have to.
9. Product placement. Don’t tell me about your Gucci pants and your iPhone and how many pictures you have on Instagram. It really pulls me out of the story and breaks up the flow. Looking at you, Forged by Greed.
10. Sexy, compelling male leads. This really isn’t a problem for me. But it does cause problems. Symptoms may include: fangirling, swooning, feels, fainting, fanning oneself, blushing, overactive imagination, and unintelligible squealing at mention of said character’s name.
That’s my list for this week – link me yours below!