Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Check out their amazing blog here!
Today’s TTT topic is: Top Ten Books I Was “Forced” to Read (either by teachers, friends, other bloggers, book club) — doesn’t necessarily have to be a BAD thing. Could be required reading, yes, but also book club, or just super enthusiastic friends “making” you read something!
1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. This one came from Veronica… and Andi… and Arial… and I’m so glad I didn’t ignore them! I can’t even put into words my emotions for this book. But I’ll try tomorrow, so come back for my review 😉
2. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. Also from Veronica: she practically shoved it into my hands, and I was once again so thrilled that I listened to her! She’s now my official “contemporary fiction book finder for Kayla”. It’s totally legit.
3. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. My dad made me read this one, and while I don’t like some of the other books he forced on me, this one was the best, and is still one of my favorite all time reads.
4. Zenzele: A Letter for My Daughter by J. Nozipo Maraire. This was from my “African Culture” class in college, and even though I didn’t like the other three books too much, this is my fave, and now I’m teaching it in my world lit class next semester!
5. Antigone by Sophocles. I struggled with Greek plays in my “Roots of Western Culture” class, but Antigone was seriously an A++.
6. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. I read this one when I was trying to decide on my book list for my General Lit class, and I fell in love, head over heels. Now it’s one of my favorite books to teach!
7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This was just general peer pressure, and I’m so glad to have given in.
Now here are three that I’ve recently purchased/waiting for in the mail because of the influence of others:
9. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman. Because Veronica said that if I sobbed so much over TFiOS, I’d be dead after this one. I just couldn’t turn down that challenge!
10. Altered by Jennifer Rush. I’d had my eye on it for a few weeks, but Andi posted about how much she loved it, so I caved! I actually won a preorder of the sequel that comes out in January from Andi’s giveaway, so I’m all set for both now!
That’s my list for this week – link me yours below!