I always love Jamie’s surveys, and this one is no different! It’s time to catalogue the best of the bunch for 2013 – bookishly speaking of course. Mine might be a bit more condensed as far as time span, because I didn’t read anything till May of this year. So these questions apply to about seven months!
1. Best book you read in 2013? That would have to be Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, Angelfall and World After by Susan Ee, Cracked by Eliza Crewe, Backward Glass by David Lomax, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo, and the Legend Series by Marie Lu.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t? Waterfell by Amalie Howard.
3. Most Surprising (In a good way!) book of 2013? Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins for sure!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? Backward Glass by David Lomax.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013? The Legend series by Marie Lu – I caught on right when Champion was released, and I binged on all of them. I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S OVER. Also, the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo! Can’t wait for Ruin and Rising!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? Every single book I read this year and loved. SO MANY NEW AUTHORS
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or a new genre for you? Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson and Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Really any contemporary that I read this year – thanks to Andi and Veronica!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013? Too many to count honestly. There were SO MANY. Just look back through my reviews for the “this book is a star I cannot fathom into a rating” rating and you’ll find them all!
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to reread next year? Steelheart for sure, and I might need a Legend reread as well. Plus the Grisha Trilogy before R&R is released.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013? Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
11. Most memorable character in 2013? Kenji from the Shatter Me series, and Sturmhond from the Grisha trilogy.
12. Most beautifully written book in 2013? Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, or Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
14. Book you can’t believe you waited till 2013 to read? The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013? I actually can’t remember any specific quotes! Although I really did love the acknowledgement section in Left Drowning – “This book is for everyone who has survived. You are not broken. You can love and be loved, despite what may feel like the eternally brutal nature of the world. Even when you’re drowning and so far under, there is always time to reach for someone who will teach you how to breathe again.”
16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013? Longest was Insurgent by Veronica Roth at 525 pages, shortest was Life Before Legend by Marie Lu at 38 pages.
17. A book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? The Penryn and Raffe scene in the club in Angelfall, Metias’s death in Legend, the big reveal about the identity of certain Epics in Steelheart, every scene in Siege and Storm
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013? Romantic: Anna and Etienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss, Fear and Elizabeth in Some Quiet Place, June and Day in the Legend series. Friendship: Sabine and Blythe in Left Drowning, Tiernan and Ava in The Guardians, Katniss and Finnick in Catching Fire
19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you had read before? Actually, everything I read this year was new to me. Unless you count rereads, in which case that would be Catching Fire and the Percy Jackson series
20. Best book you read in 2013 that was based solely on a recommendation from someone else? Anna and the French Kiss, and Vampire Academy
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013? Fantasy – easy question there 😉
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013? Raffe and Nikolai/Sturmhond!!!
23. Best 2013 debut you read? Cracked by Eliza Crewe, Backward Glass by David Lomax, and Altered by Jennifer Rush
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? The Grisha Trilogy and Steelheart
25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013? Anna and the French Kiss
26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013? SHALL WE COUNT THEM?? The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Left Drowning by Jessica Park, Cracked by Eliza Crewe, The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan, Champion by Marie Lu
27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out? Altered by Jennifer Rush and The Program by Suzanne Young
1. New favorite blog you discovered in 2013? Every single one of them! Of course, I just started blogging in May, so all of them are new to me.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog? I had three: two personal, and one ranting about YA tropes. 1) On Katniss Everdeen, Or: Why My Opinion Has Changed So Drastically, 2) When People Weigh In On Subjects that Aren’t Their Business, and 3) Gay Characters
4. Most thought provoking discussion or review you read on somebody else’s blog? I actually can’t remember D: I’m horrible at keeping track!
5. Best event that you participated in? My first author event with Leigh Bardugo, Ann Aguirre, Jessica Brody, and Gennifer Albin!
6. Best moment of book blogging/book life in 2013? Probably when I decided that I would blog on my own time, and not freak out if I missed a day of commenting or a post!
7. Most popular post on your blog this year? This one surprised me – a review of the movie Third Star, at 107 views total. One that would be bookish/blog related would be my Seven Oddball Terms of Blogging at 101 views. As far as comments, my most popular was when I asked for help from everyone in picking out some books for my sister’s birthday!
8. Post you wished got a little more love? My reviews, really. Especially when I put a lot of time into them to try and really articulate everything. The popular books get more views, but there are some ARCs that I’ve read that were AMAZING but nobody read the review!
9. Best bookish discovery? Bookoutlet (super cheap books), and Amazon Prime
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of the year? The only challenge I had was to read 100 books this year, when I started in May. I’m at 98 now, and still have 27 more days to go in the year. I think I’ll raise my goal to 110 books, at least.
1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will make your priority in 2014? Allegiant. Some day I’ll get the courage to read it!
2. Book you are most anticipating in 2014 (non debut)? Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo, and Firefight by Brandon Sanderson.
3. 2014 debut you are most excited for? Honestly I don’t know! I’m really bad at keeping track of stuff like that
4. Series ending you are most excited for in 2014? Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi, and Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014? Request less ARCs, and read for me instead!