Well hello Sunday my old friend. I can’t believe another week has passed again! And I had a FANTASTIC week! It was much better than the last, for quite a few reasons 😀
Stacking the Shelves
My BFF Veronica bought me a very-early birthday present (birthday is not till June, but she decided to spoil me now!)
Across the Universe by Beth Revis
This is one of those series that I’ve been DYING to read, but always forget when the time comes to order some more books! I could not stop stroking it when the mail arrived. It’s just… stunning. And Veronica remembered that even though I prefer hardbacks, and with the original cover, THIS version will match all the others when I complete the series. THAT IS TRUE LOVE RIGHT THERE.
I had fully intended on keeping to my book ban, but then I had a few extra minutes to kill, and I was right next to Barnes and Noble… and, well… we all know how that goes.
Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
BUT this is for good reason! I’m going to the LA Book Festival this next weekend, and Ava will be there on one of the panels! So OF COURSE I had to buy her book so I can read it before meeting her!
I also had another find on Netgalley this week: My Best Friend, Maybe by Caela Carter. I’ve been in the mood for a summery read lately (maybe that’s why I’m in this weird semi-slump??), so hopefully this will do the trick, even if it does sound potentially heartbreaking.
Some Changes to the Blog
Some of you may remember back in January when I took off two weeks so I could take a step back and really regroup and refocus on my intent for having this blog. I came back ON FIRE and LOVING everything I was doing, but now I’ve sort of hit a slump again. And I’ve realized exactly what point is hardest for me: reviewing books. Of course, as a book blogger, I want to expose more authors and books and FLAIL over all the emotions!
I’ve realized that lately my reviews are reverting back to my old style of being so analytical and sterile – they’re just plain boring! So we’re going to switch it up around here: again. Gone are the reviews for every single book I read – instead, I’m going to pick ONE book per week, and spotlight/review/fangirl (in the case of a 4 or 5 star) or snark/rant (in the case of a DNF, 1, or 2 star) it. This post will be on Wednesdays now. All my other reviews can be found on Goodreads, of course, since I read a lot of books and do want to share at least a few thoughts about them.
Now that I’ve freed Fridays up, I’m going to debut a new feature on the blog! I don’t want to spill all the beans, but I’ll give you two phrases: group effort, and playlists. It’s going to be awesome.
BIG piece of news… I CUT MY HAIR AGAIN! “How much more is there to cut off, Kayla??” Well let me tell you there’s actually quite a bit. It’s now the final cut that I was aiming for, and I’m glad I did this in stages, starting at my chin and ending here. It’s now above both my ears, with some really piecy bangs. And it’s PERFECT! No more ear suffocation, no more neck itches. Oh the freedom from sensory issues is DELIGHTFUL.
- I’ve started watching Game of Thrones, since Fios decided to give me a few weeks of free HBO on demand. It’s a bit… racier… than I expected (to my mother: I’m sorry you walked in only on the naughty bits and missed 40 minutes of awesome, creepy medieval stuff). BUT I love it, and, as expected, the dragon chick is my favorite. And I call her that because I can’t spell the name to save my life. TBH she’s the reason I watched the show in the first place.
- On April 1, after Charlotte posted about Blogilates, I started the beginner’s program. It’ll last me a month, and hopefully I’ll be able to stick to the schedule and see some results soon enough. Most importantly, I’ve already been feeling more energetic, and better about myself. I see a bit of change in my torso, but I’m sure it’ll take several more weeks before I start seeing something truly noticeable. Although, my shirts have been fitting better, so it’s a start!
- Since we’re on the subject of weight loss, honestly I’m still a bit frustrated. I keep swinging between those same two pounds, which makes no sense. But I’ve decided not to pay too much attention, because what’s important is how I’ve been feeling. I really think those thyroid supplements are making a huge difference. I have more energy, I handle stress better, and I just feel good. So maybe the weight will come off later, but for now I’m going to focus on feeling healthy, and exercising regularly. The results will come soon enough!
- I’m in a weird sort of reading slump right now. I’ve started three different books, and none of them are really holding my attention. I’m on Game of Thrones, Days of Blood and Starlight, and Torn Away, which is the best of the three. I can’t put my finger on why I’m not into them, but I have a feeling it’s because all these road trip books are coming out (Open Road Summer and The Museum of Intangible Things) and all I want to do is read those! I’m really hoping Love Letters will satisfy that need for a good contemporary read.
- I know I was supposed to review Allegiant last Friday… but I can’t put my thoughts into words yet. There’s so much to say, but I don’t know how yet!
If you missed it, last week I:
- Announced the winners of the Alternate Reality Giveaway (congratulations Makaela and Devon!)
- Shared my top twelve gateway books, including some of my childhood favorites that got me reading
- Reviewed an ARC of Big Fat Disaster by Beth Fehlbaum (2/5)
- Worried about my reading future, and my tastes in books as I get older
- Reviewed Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (6/5 – new favorite!)
What’s coming up this week?
- Monday – The Writing Life: recapping the first week of Camp NaNoWriMo (I’m actually on top of my word goal!)
- Tuesday – Top Ten Tuesday: Unique Books
- Wednesday – Review of Torn Away by Jennifer Brown (and another extra special post!!!)
- Thursday – Seven Things You Can Do With Your Harry Potter Books (Besides Read Them)
- Friday – My new feature, “Let’s Make a Playlist For…” It’s going to be loads of fun!
Hope you all have a good week!